Thursday, April 29, 2021

Final Exam Post


The Internet

How Does the Internet Work?  

Does Your Brain Need a Boost? Get Outside | Inc.com

    The internet can affect our lives in many ways. It can get people amazing careers and set them up for the rest of a wealthy lifetime, but it can also potentially ruin someone's lives and their chances of getting a job. In many jobs today, you apply to them online and it is an easy way for them to see your resume and experience, and see if you are qualified for the job. Also, it is much easier for storage, Organization, and Access to Digital Information. The bad side of being on the internet is that you can potentially make a small mistake, and be canceled for it. Therefore, all of your future employees will see it and not hire you because of it. To sum this up, the internet is both an astonishing and horrific place all in one. 

    Overall, I like the internet and I think my relationship with it is pretty healthy. However, I do think that I spend too much time online. Sometimes it is a nice day out, and I really should be outside enjoying it but instead, I get distracted by my social media and I never end up going outside like I intended. Also, when it is time to get my school work done, I always stay on my phone longer than I want to because it is easy to just forget about the work and instead let my focus be absorbed into my phone. I am recently trying to spend less time on the internet by deleting apps that I go on too much for a day or two. This keeps me from being tempted to go on it and staying on it for way too long. Obviously, not all of the internet is apps and social media, the internet can actually be a great place to learn. With the pandemic, most people have been learning online around the world and it really is not that bad. I prefer a classroom setup, however, if you think about it, even when you are in a classroom you are most likely going to use your computers which means you are online and using technology. Or another example is if you don't understand a concept that your teacher taught, you can easily look up a video explaining it online, or even if you want to know almost anything, even completely random, you can look it up on the internet and find out the answer in 10 seconds. So even though too much internet may not be great for you, there is definitely learning that comes along with it. 

    Another positive effect that the internet has is actually on friends and family in my opinion. Speaking from experience since I am about 10 hours away from my parents, I get to talk to them any time I want because I have a cell phone. I cannot imagine being away here and not being in contact with my family. When my dad went to college in the early 80s, he did not have a cell phone so during those four years, he was not as close to his family which is crazy to me. The internet also helps keep friendships alive. In today's day and age, if you have a best friend, you most likely talk to or at least Snapchat them every day. I cannot imagine being as close with my friends as I am now without the internet. It would be so weird to me to not be able to talk to them when we are not physically seeing each other. One last good thing about this is that the internet essentially keeps long-distance relations alive. You can facetime and see your significant other every single day. You can hear their voice and see their smile. The only thing that is missing is physical touch. I hear that long-distance relationships are much easier now than they used to be because you can actually talk to each other and keep each other updated on your lives. So in my opinion, the internet helps family and friends very much.

    Speaking for myself, I do not have much of an online footprint. I definitely do have one because I have social media like Snapchat, Facebook, and Instagram, however, if you google my name no pictures come up. The people with the biggest online footprint are probably Social Media Influencers. They are all over the internet, you cannot avoid them at all. They are a part of many ordinary people's lives and they are looked up to by many. It is crazy to think that posting pictures and videos of themselves is their career. It is a well-paying job that actually gets them through life. So compared to them, I do not have much of an online footprint, and I would actually like to keep it that way. Essentially, from this whole blog post, I think the internet is a good thing, you just have to have boundaries and be careful in the ways you use it. It can be very distracting so you have to distance yourself from it sometimes in order fr your mental health to stay good, and you cannot post your whole life because if you slip up on one thing, you can potentially ruin your whole life. 

How to use FaceTime for group calls - The Verge

Our Internet Sensation ft. Howard Rheingold | by Suraya D. | Medium



https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2006/01/25/the-strength-of-internet-ties/

https://hbr.org/2009/10/why-the-internet-is-so-distrac

hrillist.com/tech/valuable-skills-you-can-learn-online-websites-that-will-teach-you-something-duolingo-online-harvard-courses-mit-courses

No comments:

Post a Comment

EOTO Terms & Concepts Blog #10 -keypost

 Terms & Concepts          The term that I researched is disinformation. The basic definition of disinformation is  false information de...